Job Discription: General Manager- Human Resources Management
Main Purpose of the Job:
· The General Manager, Human Resources has an overall responsibility for developing and maintaining high performance organizational culture, staffed by competent and committed people, in order to support the achievement of the authority strategic objectives
Key Performance Areas
· Strategic human resource management, organizational design and development, talent attraction, motivation and retention, learning and development, employee relations and wellness and remuneration and benefits.
· Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the General Manager: Human Resources will be responsible for the formulation, implementation and maintaining of the Authority’s human resource management strategy.
· Lead and leverage Human Resources Management processes and drive key HR initiatives across the divisions including staffing, performance management, compensation planning, succession planning, learning and development, rewards and recognition, organisational effectiveness and employee communication.
· Provide strategic leadership in talent & succession management strategies that are intended to attract, retain and develop right calibre of employees.
· Advice the Chief Executive Officer, Council and other members of the leadership team on strategic human resources management issues and opportunities. Anticipate and address Authority-wide risk factors related to talent management.
· Provide strategic leadership in fostering a culture of performance excellence, respect, integrity, accountability and innovation.
· Provide thought leadership and programme execution in areas of organisational design and development including execution of leadership development and succession planning programs.
· Serves as a permanent invited member of the Authority’s Human Resources and Remuneration Committee of Council.
· Provide strategic leadership in human capital development strategies and deployment of the clients’ specific learning programs to build organisational skills, foster change management competencies and achieve goal alignment in support of the business imperatives and opportunities.
· Build and maintain successful employer-employee relationships by promoting positive relations between the client and organised labour, including leading the annual salary negotiations.
· Provide thought leadership in the provision of programs and incentives to recognise individual and teams exceptional performance
Leadership Competencies and Personal Characteristics
· Business acumen: demonstrate business understanding, including regulatory framework, finance, business process and people deployment against the business goals and initiatives. Strong diagnostic and implementation skills to pro-actively and effectively address problems/opportunities with actionable, scalable and sustainable HR Strategies. Ability to quantify and sell financial Return On Investment for all Human Resources Initiatives.
· Organisation and Culture building: quickly and accurately assess the strengths and weakness of the organisation. Effectively influence people across the Authority to achieve common goals. A Change Agent with expertise in organisational commitment and employee engagement, organisational design and development, succession planning and alignment of goals and incentives.
· Strategic leadership: Has a clear organisational vision for the future. Conceptualises key trends. Challenges current practices and ways of thinking about the business. Effectively leads the development of a strategy for achieving key organisational goals. A strategic thinker who is equally task and results driven.
· Critical thinking: Cognitive horsepower. Investigates alternatives seeking important causes and considerations. Able to define, navigate, and solve complex problems.
· Results oriented: gets the most out of resources while achieving quality results. Establishes measurable goals and milestones for the organisation. Sets time frames and priorities. Relentless and skilful driver of change. Willing to tackle tough issues and make decisions.
· Team player: Works effectively in an organisation where influence is gained and exercised based on merit and content, not on title and reporting relationship. Cooperation, contribution and accountability are key. Approachable, trustworthy, and emotionally mature.
· Communication: High impact oral and written communication / presentation skills.
· Confident and Resilient: a bold and a strategic thinker. A mature and confident executive who is comfortable and effective at all levels of the organisation. Self-motivated, resilient. Skilled at building consensus. Able to support recommendations with a convincing business case.
· Knowledge of South African labour Legislation.
· Modern Human Resources practices and performance management process.
· Conflict Management and negotiation Skills
· Analytical ability and strategic planning skills.
· Project and process management Skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to anticipate the effects of change and to manage organizational change processes effectively.
· Ability to maintain high work standard under sustained pressure and frequent deadlines.
· High integrity, candour and credibility with Council and Senior Management.
Qualification and Experience Required
· Human Resources post-graduate (Hons. or equivalent) qualification with at least 15 years generalist experience which includes an established track record in a Senior HRM position (8 years +).
· An MBA and experience at Board level will be an advantage.
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.