Head: Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Guiding the regulatory change by interpreting regulatory rules, guidance and practice notes issued by the authorities.
- Identify the impact of change and work with the procedures and process owners to implement change in a manner that minimizes the effect on “business as usual” activities.
- Ensuring that synergy exists with other group assurance providers and with their assistance implement the Compliance Policy which aligns to the principles contained in the Compliance Policy and Compliance Principles and Standards and the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) framework.
- Liaising with the combined assurance function to ensure internal compliance with Group requirements and ensure alignment of the risk-based approach to the management of governance function
- Provide legal support on all legal matters and to oversee and monitor the total legal processes with regards to the business unit namely drafting and vetting of agreements pertaining to business ventures.
- Facilitate a compliance culture within the business and establish a Compliance General Awareness
- Programme with specific emphasis on regulatory requirements
- Participate in the Compliance approval of products, projects and initiatives where required
- Provide support in delivering effective solutions that will enable the business to achieve their growth objectives within the regulatory framework
- Identify, manage and monitor compliance obligations and risks, as well as reporting, interacting with regulators in conjunction with assurance providers and internal clients in relation to key legislation and assisting with the compilation of responses pertaining to queries received from the various regulators.
- Review all the existing compliance controls for the current businesses to ensure that current controls address all current regulatory and business requirements and are effective and adequate to implement strategic plans to prevent, eliminate and mitigate compliance and operational risks that are identified.
- Report operational risk issues identified through review processes and ensure that the management interventions agreed to with are tracked and reported on, on a regular basis.
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders and business partners by addressing issues/concerns in a timely manner
Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- An appropriate tertiary qualification, LLB, BCom
- Post Graduate degree in Law, compliance or risk, would be advantageous
- Admission as an Advocate / Attorney would be advantageous
- Meeting the competence and experience requirements to be registered as a Compliance Officer with the Financial Services Board would be advantageous.
- At least 10 years’ experience in legal, audit, compliance or risk management roles in the financial services industry of which 5 years must have been in a management role.