The successful incumbent’s core responsibility will be to;
- Form partnerships with business managers by implementing and providing a professional Human Resources service to the business, in line with policy and legislation in South Africa.
- Promote a positive Industrial relations culture within the business and minimize risk of industrial action by advising, guiding and supporting both employees and managers in interpreting company policies and procedures on HR administration, recruitment and selection, talent management, wellness, HR systems, compliance, benefits, remuneration and reward.
- Oversee 7 SA mines/sites and 1 subsidiary plant.
- Headcount - 386 FTE & 308 Contractors, Subsidiary 81 FTE and 145 contractors.
- Subordinates - 3 direct subordinates and 5 indirect.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Corporate governance by ensuring HR controls are in place and adequate segregation of duties in all HR functions as per the company’s Global rules
• Implement, respect and follow up on all the Company’s Global policies, procedures, guidelines and processes related to HR and those outside of the HR function but impacting people.
• Lead, direct and manage the labour /employee relations functions by implementing programs that support a good industrial relations environment.
• Advise , guide, support and coach managers and employees in all matters related to Human resources process including employee welfare.
• Lead and manage the talent management function and implement interventions to improve the learning environment.
• Implement all Social Labour Plans pertaining to the HR function as per Mining charter requirements and Labour legislation in South Africa.
• Handle all bargaining council matters and process for the company and be a subject matter expert on Mediation , Conciliation and Arbitration issues.
• Manage all processes pertaining to retrenchment procedure for the company.
• Manage all aspects of compensation, employee benefits and remuneration for the company.
• Contribute to key integration projects and due diligence projects as and when required as a subject matter expert
• Integrate BBBEE strategies into employee recruitment, development and retention programs and be able to measure the success of diversity initiatives.
• Support the transformation, compliance and ethics agenda of the company.
• Management of expatriate assignments.
• Promote staff retention for all employees and keep a close eye on development process.
• Key contributor to the annual BBBEE scorecard accreditation process.
• Maintain business partnerships and ensure a strong support service to operations.
• Implement cost saving initiatives and improve processes.
• Control the Labour cost and Headcount for the entire company.
• Compliance to DMR, BBBEE and all HR - IR statutory and legal requirements.
• Put measures in place to minimise Industrial Relations/Community conflict and continually analyse risk thereof.
• Strong HR business partner and advisor to the entire RSA management team.
Additional Tasks and Information:
- Key member of the country management team.
- Comply with Safety, Health and Environment standards.
- Involvement in Wellness Committee and HIV AIDS Committee.
- Strategic planning, financial and cost management for HR.
- Employer Trustee in the Employee Share Scheme of the company.
- Employee Trustee on the Provident Management scheme.
- Chief Negotiator with NUM and GIWUSA.
- Relationship management with key community Stakeholders and chair some community meetings
- Statutory appointment as the Employment Equity Manager for the company in SA.
Job Specifications- Qualifications; Experience;
• Post Graduate Degree Human Resource Management or Industrial Psychology or equivalent –(minimum Honours Degree).
• 12 years Generalist experience in Human Resources (No specialisation), experience must have focused mainly on industrial relations management, compensation management and community engagements at management levels.
• Sound knowledge of SA Basic conditions of employment, Labour Relations Act, employment Equity Act, Skills Development Act and Health and Safety Act.
• In depth knowledge of HR theory and practice.
• Understand the Mining charter and Social Labour Plans.
• Preferably from a mining or engineering industry.
• Broad knowledge of talent management, performance management, remuneration, industrial Relations, learning and development, Job evaluation Generalist HR practices.
• Valid unendorsed code B driver’s license with fit for purpose own car.
• Knowledge of HR systems (Workday).
Knowledge, skills and attributes
• Be assertive, yet compassionate and willing to listen and respond to employee needs.
• Mature personality ,have presence and confidence.
• Manage self, others, collaborate , deliver results and improvement.