The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a leading research institute attached to the University of the Witwatersrand. We address some of the greatest public health concerns affecting the region, including HIV, sexual and reproductive health, and vaccinology. We do this through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders. Our Key Populations Programme seeks a Technical Advisor to join our senior leadership team.
Main purpose of the job
- This is a contract position, which requires experience in HIV counselling, testing, tracking and tracing of clients; basic knowledge of HIV and counselling, ability to conduct rapid HIV testing and interpret test results, as well as matric with HIV testing and counselling certificate
- The Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) project requires the services of 1 lay counsellor that will be responsible for providing all HIV counselling and testing for AGYW
- The candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day testing within a cluster’s mobile clinic van. Also, the candidate will be responsible for linking the clients with relevant comprehensive sexual and reproductive services, HIV treatment and care
- The candidate should be able to conduct finger prick HIV testing, interpretation of results and ensuring that clients remain in care
- Fixed Facility (Lancers Road) in eThekwini KZN
Key Performance Areas
- Engagement with AGYW to build trust and rapport
- Ability to assess the risk of possible infection
- Give the client sufficient information to make an informed decision about whether or not to test
- Assist the client to understand the test and what the results mean
- Helping the person explore implications of HIV
- Testing (options)
- Ability to provide PrEP information
- Provide report of number of clients counselled and opted for test
- Conduct risk reduction counselling
- Maintain the quality of test kits
- Provide HIV testing (finger prick)
- Keep record confidential
- Obtain informed consent for all clients
- Together with the professional nurse, order test kits according to the DOH recommendations and keep record of stock in, stock-out
- Registration of clients using the HTS register and other data collection tools
- Open clinical charts for clients for both PrEP/ART
- Finger prick -interpretation of results
- Documentation of all relevant patient results and information
- Stock management and control, including test kits and other commodities
- Quality assessment and control
- Produce statistics of clients tested for HIV
- Produce reports on relevant out-reach activities and outcomes
- Follow up referrals
- Monitor PrEP uptake versus referrals on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Quality Control of source documents and ensure data collection tools are completed in line with protocol and good clinical practice guidelines
Required minimum education and training
- Basic HIV Counselling and Testing training certificate (10 days) from a recognized training institution
- Rapid testing continuous quality improvement (RTCQI) trained (3 days)
- Proficiency in local language and English
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience working within or supporting the public health sector
- 1-year experience in rapid HIV testing and counselling
- Experience and or understanding of HIV self-screening
- Experience working with Adolescents, or on Adolescent health focused projects
- Experience working in the community and providing quality HIV testing services at community level
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to navigate complex situations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- People orientated
- Basic Knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Strong work ethics
- A demonstrated understanding on how to pre-counsel, conduct finger prick, interpret results, and post-test counsel, screen, assess, and refer clients for HIV, STI and TB for care
- Good understanding of PrEP, FP, Pregnancy and ART services
- Ability to conduct quality control for HIV test kits
- Experience working in a donor funded organisation/ NGO or project-based environment
- Experience of working with in and out of school youth
- Past / present involvement in some aspect of the community
- Knowledge of and passion for health-related issues
- Knowledge of youth (age 10-24) culture in South Africa
- Team player, detail focused and reliable, able to work independently
- Have a good knowledge of principles of customer service
- Passion for helping people
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
The closing date for all applications is 26 September 2019.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT - PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! - DON'T BE SCAMMED!!!
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.