The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job
- To drive and support the development, evaluation and implementation of various communication and social mobilization components of the USAID School-Based HIV and GBV Prevention Programme project focused on adolescent girls and young women in 8 selected districts across 4 provinces
- 8 Blackwood Avenue, Parktown, Johannesburg
Key performance areas
- Drive the social mobilization strategy for the project, effectively l locating, onboarding and liaising with community-based organizations and other stakeholders in the HIV prevention environment
- Liaise with the clinic, and district role players in order to successfully plan and coordinate social mobilization activities and in the selection of CBOs
- Ensure mobile team is well briefed on expectations for social mobilization activities, and are well supported to carry out their demand creation duties
- Ensure CBOs are equipped to submit budgets, quotes and invoices on time, in order to ensure processing of payments is timeous and manageable
- Working with colleagues, ensure IEC material necessary for effective social mobilization is delivered to sites on time
- Brief social media manager on content necessary to assist with social mobilization activations
- Coordinate branding (interior and exterior) of new and existing youth zones
- Ensure teams on the ground are skilled at report pulling
- Ensure reports are included in M&E data
- Ability to conceptualize a strategic approach to the use of radio as part of the demand creation strategy
- Ability to liaise with radio consultants, and radio stations to ensure booking of programmes, timing and content direction
- Ensure radio programming falls within budget for the desired reach
- Ensure reach is collated and distributed to the M&E team for inclusion in demand creation data
- Ensure teams on the ground are comfortable with and utilize registers for M&E
- Assist the M&E team to develop and manage processes for regular, on time and accurate data from clusters
- Work with teams to create monthly reports on-demand creation performance, including analyses on the effectiveness of methods used to reach AGYW and translate them into clinic users for SRH services including PrEP
- Work with the project team to develop alternative strategies for implementation of demand creation once reports are collated
- Evaluate existing demand creation activities and materials, and effectively brief the design team on any adaptations. Refine and assess creative messages, graphics and materials; and create platforms for dissemination for diverse audiences, including trial participants, community, policy-makers and donors
- Ability to comprehend health-related content and communicate it (write/speak) in a user-friendly manner for a wide array of audiences
- Working with the team, develop and oversee the production of various promotional and marketing materials as needed by the project audience and stakeholders, this includes but is not limited to communication with AGYW, their parents, teachers and community members
- Ensure streamlining and quality control of communication materials: recruitment materials, presentations, infographics, etc.
- Assist the project team with communications-related project activities, designing creative interventions that are Knowledge-management and Communication based
- Support the development and management of participant communication and marketing strategies
- Contribute to project reports for internal and external dissemination on an ongoing basis
- Contribute to the development and review of the communication work plan and other strategic project documents for the effective implementation of the project
- Assist with training mobile teams, CBOs and other stakeholders on-demand creation strategy
- Ensure staff are able to effectively deliver feedback on successes and obstacles
- Assist Implementation Science department with proposal writing and fundraising
Required minimum education and training
- Relevant professional qualification in Marketing and/or Communications, Proficiency in MS office. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite Design Software a plus
- Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Experience with event management and social mobilization
- Ability to work with external service providers (CBOs, tech providers, radio consultants, events companies) and manage the full life cycle of the interaction
- Experience with strategic thinking for mass media programming, including radio
- Experience writing funding proposals for new grants
- Experience in developing communication campaigns using a range of platforms for diverse audiences (e.g. outreach and demand creation materials, meeting reports, website and social media content, viral video storylines, PowerPoint presentations)
- Experience in marketing/communications management
- Able to evaluate project performance and best practices in communication and demand creation and adapt for project needs
- Ability to coordinate and troubleshoot operational activities
- Ability to think conceptually and effectively communicate with the graphic design team
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Creative, adaptable and willing to take initiative
- Excellent MS Office computer skills
- Ability to comprehend health-related content and communicate it (write/speak) in a user-friendly manner
- Able to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience in communications and/or marketing, graphic design, preferably in a public health, reproductive and sexual health environment
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 11 December 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.