Position in Canada
A Canadian Company based in Vancouver is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer which is looking at going abroad .
Great opportunity for this incumbent, initially you would work remotely from South Africa.
They combine advanced sending technologies and data analytics to provide mining companies the abilty to better differentiate ore from waste rock at both the mining face and conveyor belts. They use the latest software, hardware, industril/control, communcation Technologies to expand Technical knowledge and expertise.
The Main Function of this position is to have good SOLID mining equipment experience. Passionate getting it done and deliver quality work.
The role needs serious hands-on experience in a mining equipment refurbishment (buckets, etc) role or in a third party bucket or G&T supplier, or in an OEM (Caterpillar/ Komatsu/ Joy Global/ Sandvik/ etc) company.
Responsibilties include and not limited
- Design new, and/or redesign existing machines, equipment or systems considering cost, availability of materials, strength and maintenance requirements, appearance, and impact on the user and on the environment and review the other engineers’ in the same area
- Verify functionality of completed designs
- Train and mentor junior staff members
- Responsible for leading and working with Junior/Intermediate Engineers and collaborating with other design team members to create drawings, change and/or create 3D parametric models and assemblies with SolidWorks, perform engineering changes, and develop & maintain BOMs to achieve project goals
- Assign tasks to the junior staff if needed under Director of Mechanical Engineering’s supervision
- Coordinate with vendors and clients to provide timely resolution of design and performance issues
- Analyze dynamics and vibrations of mechanical systems and review the other engineers’ work in the same area
- Perform thermal management studies through simulation and testing and review the other engineers’ in the same area
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of components and assemblies to determine best practices and review the other engineers’ in the same area
- Test and analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components, and systems and review the other engineers’ in the same area
- Supervision, commissioning, installation, maintenance, and inspection of our equipment at our clients’ facilities around the world
- Periodic travel possible including oversees travel (up to 20%)
Relevent Skills and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (Masters or PHD preferred) combined with 7 -10 years of directly related including a lead position experience in a product development environment.
- Product design experience with SolidWorks. Other industry-recognized computer-assisted design/drafting software experience will be considered.
- Experience designing products for an industrial environment.
- Able to take product and project requirements and translate them into engineering requirements/specifications and deliverables.
- Experience in thermal analysis of enclosed power electronics system and familiarity with different methods of managing heat transfer (natural convection, forced-air cooling, water-cooling, etc.) as well as performing CFD analysis
- Demonstrated ability to run test, including instrumentation, data collection and analysis, and correlation with analytical results.
- Experienced in static and dynamic FEA.
- Knowledgeable on material selection for end products.
- Knowledge of BOM’s, change orders and ERP/MRP systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be able to work with demanding deadlines and changing priorities.
Nice to Have
- Experience using materials that are subjected to harsh environmental abrasion and/or impacts.
- Experience in vibration analysis and design for vibration damping.
- Experienced in design of mining buckets and dippers.
- Demonstrated ability in GD&T, DFMEAs, DVP&Rs, and Root Cause Analysis.
Must be able to communicate Fluently in English