Duties & Responsibilities
The Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Manager is responsible for the reporting and BI capabilities for the tertiary division and for those areas of the work of the schools division supported by ITSU housed systems. In this regard the incumbent leads and manages a team of analysts or developers who facilitate business intelligence solutions.
- Provide management information system (MIS) improvements and standardized procedures for delivering state of the art decision support system
- Recommends suitable data processing applications and software
- Manages Business Intelligence service delivery.
- Full support and cooperation with other members of the ITSU team and business managers to ensure integrity of application data to support business needs and BI strategy and implementation.
- Responsible for reporting capability of ITSU
- Assist and lead on data projects beyond the BI capability of the divisions concerned.
Number of direct reports and supervisory capacity
Initially 1 – owever, this is a role that requires collaboration with others and therefore there will be supervisory and influence responsibility over others including but not limited to vendors, business analysts, technical specialists, developers and application support especially developers.
Key Performance Areas
Responsible for leading the strategic design, development and maintenance of business intelligence applications. Identifies, researches, and resolves the complex technical problems.
Ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhances business decision making capabilities.
Responsible for ensuring user needs are met through needs analysis and training and support and ensuring the BI solutions are aligned with business needs
The particular responsibilities are:
- Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets.
- Support business effectiveness and efficiency by providing BI solutions that enable business decision making.
- Analyse data generated and propose ways to improve operational efficiency.
- Develop a Business Intelligence (BI) Service Culture which seeks to support the business and enables others to provide exceptional client service by making information and data easily available to answer key business questions.
- Cultivate and manage performance directed relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including end-users, Brands and CAT Managers, project managers and senior staff members to ensure uptake and ongoing usefulness of BI tools
- Collaborate with stakeholders in developing solutions to ensure that there is buy in and acceptance.
- Provide input to vendor management and assist in resolving any disputes.
- Use best practise models for development through the solution life cycle, which includes: design, build, test, implement and validate the overall solution.
- Evaluate solutions on an ongoing basis against stakeholder needs and the business case.
The BI Manager is the divisional BI Architect responsible for Data Modelling (Engineering), Data Integration (ETL), Data Analytics (Data Science) and Data Visualization (Enterprise Reporting). In these four areas the following are key:
Data Modelling and Data Engineering
- Design stable, reliable and effective databases.
- Optimize and maintain legacy systems
- Modify databases according to requests and perform tests
- Solve database usage issues and malfunctions where applicable.
- Liaise with application developers to improve applications and establish best practices. Gather user requirements and identify new features and improvements needed.
- Develop necessary technical and training documentation on demand.
- Provide data management support to users on demand and ensure all database programs meet the quality and performance requirements.
- Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols.
- Develop detailed and thorough knowledge of database schema, database operations and database communication layers; Design large scale solutions with database technology as needed.
- Develop a thorough and detailed understanding of the relational database platforms, with a focus on performance analysis, query optimization operations, appropriate SQL syntax and database internals.
- Perform independent database performance analysis with a focus on SQL query efficiency and schema design; apply tools and utilities to identify integrity or performance issues.
- Review database schema changes and generate queries as needed, assist and mentor less experienced individuals with schema and query reviews.
- Work with teams to enforce database standards; aid in design and research of new database standards as needed.
ETL and Data Integration
- Designs and builds relational databases to support our current data integration Packages and Solutions.
- Works with application developers to ensure end user and application data requirements are fulfilled.
- Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery and implementation of a database.
- Identifies data sources, constructs data decomposition diagrams, provides data flow diagrams and documents the process.
- Performs integration of new systems into the required network and Identify potential issues and opportunities prior to implementation.
- Writes code for database access, modifications and constructions including stored procedures.
- Maintains the databases regularly and automate the maintenance processes.
- Develop and coordinate system integration processes with internal departments and outside vendors.
- Comply with application integration policies, standards, documentation and procedures.
- Work with various teams to ensure that design and business objectives are achieved within the system development process.
- Evaluates existing systems and/or user needs to analyse, design, recommend and implement system changes.
- Ensures optimal performance, reliability and integrity of the database/system through a variety of techniques and procedures.
OLAP Cube and Data Science
- Designing and implementing OLAP Cubes (Multi-dimensional Model) to meet business requirements.
- Designing and implementing OLAP (Tabular Model) to meet business requirements
- Translate business measures into data algorithms and models.
- Design and implement data analytics Key Performance Indicators (KPI) that are aligned to business measures and analytics.
- Investigate facts and measures that are relevant for the data challenges in the Institution and the brands.
- Build OLAP cubes that supports data analytics road map for the institution and strives to achieve descriptive analytics, predictive analytics and prescriptive analytics.
- Integrate statistical models to build comprehensive analytical algorithms to support complex business data questions.
- Work with business teams to gather their analytical needs and develop business analytics models and data mining solutions in SSAS and other related tools.
- Ensure that OLAP cubes complies with data visualization or presentation to meet business requirements.
- Work with data integration developers to define OLAP requirements for analytics.
- Provide data analytics and analysis architectural leadership and guidance to ensure that new initiatives enable effective data analytics
Dashboard and Enterprise Reporting
- Responsible for developing stored procedures and reports that meet customer and brands requirements for all our applications.
- Suggesting and implementing procedural enhancements and code optimizations.
- Make prompt, technically sound decisions and recommendations that adds value to business priorities and needs.
- Develop and maintain Power BI dashboards and SSRS Reports, and schedule, distribute, and run reports.
- Develop new Power BI visualizations based on the business requirements.
- Prepare and review necessary dashboard specifications and design documents.
- Work with business teams to gather their reporting needs and develop interactive reports and effective visuals in Power BI and SSRS.
- Escalating issues in a timely manner and suggesting improvements
Desired Experience & Qualification
Bachelor Degree in (Information Systems, Informatics, Computer Size or Information Technology) - NQF 7 (6) Or National Diploma / Diploma in Software Development /IT- NQF 6 (5)
An appropriate postgraduate qualification and professional certifications are an added advantage.
Skills and Experience
• Experience of at least 4-8 years, in a development environment with information and business intelligence experience
• 5+ years core business intelligence development experience
• 3+ years technical team leadership or management experience
• Microsoft BI Stack (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, Power BI)
• Experience with Azure or Hadoop for large data sets strongly desired
• SQL Server 2016 experience advantageous
• Education industry experience strongly preferred
• Regulatory knowledge related to the management of personal information and electronic communication is required.
• Experience in database architecture & design, agile development technique and full systems development life cycle.
• Strong Data Warehousing experience spanning conceptual & logical modelling, defining dimensional data marts adopting commonly acceptable principles, defining user security around data access
• Experience in dealing with complex business data (e.g. Customer, educational products, instruments, risk and regulatory data) and data formats viz. csv, flat files, xml, excel, etc.
Other Technical Proficiency
• Understanding of Kimball methodologies and architecture.
• Hands on ETL development experience, covering data capture, transport, integration, performance, maintainability, re-usability, error handling, meta-data, aggregation etc.
• Data Architecture track in complex data projects, preferably in Education or Professional Service or Regulatory environment.
• Large scale database applications
• Agile practice and application life cycle management.
• Implement best practices in BI development and delivery, including and not restricted to, documentation, coding standards, naming conventions, version controls, regression testing, data dictionary & data flow mappings
• Working on Azure Development for BI/DW/Analytics o Azure Data Services o Azure SQL Database o Azure Data Factory o Azure Stream Analytics o Azure Data Catalogue o Azure Data Warehouse o Azure Data Lake
• Information architecture framework
• Working with structure and unstructured Big Data
• Expertise in the overall design of systems and understanding of business needs and business process mapping.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to liaise with technical teams and Senior Management in the Institution