Remote with the requirement to travel to the Cape Town Head Office once a quarter every year
The company builds (cloud) software that grows their clients businesses. The work covers a variety of industries and a range of Apps and IoT Software Projects. Clients range from startups, scale-ups and enterprises that need brand new cloud software or upgrade or replace existing software.
You would join a creative team of Product Managers, UX Designers & Researchers, Software Architects, Software Developers And QA Analysts & Engineers dedicated to delivering software that delivers value to our clients and engaging experiences to users.
We are serious about always learning new things. We create the time and opportunities for you to learn and develop new skills and actively promote and compensate you for taking on more responsibility aligned with your career goals.
What does working with us look like?
- Exposure to a range of industries, projects and technologies
- Work in teams of product managers, UX Designers & Researchers, Software Developers And QA
- Work remotely but not in isolation
- Continuously learn about new shiny things with allocated training budget and time
- A mentor with the experience in the skills that you want to develop
About the role
Join our team as a Senior or Intermediate Front End Software Developer. It will be your job to develop Front End Software based on UX and UI Design specifications and other acceptance criteria. We believe a good front End Developer is empowered to provide input into the business case for the software as well as the UX and UI designs in order to get to the most optimal solution. Your job is not just to deliver code.
- Deliver code according to a product backlog
- Agile software development
- Technical leadership of a small development team
- Provide input on UX and UI designs to optimise development efforts
- Provide input into the product
- Actively contribute to the entire team of Product Managers, UX Practitioners, Software Developers and QA Analysts and Engineers
- Continuous self-development and expansion of skills
- If youre an Intermediate: assist Senior Software Developer to mentor junior team members
- If youre a Senior: mentor junior team members
- Assist with software and product support
Knowledge & Skills:
Firstly, you need the skills to take on the responsibilities specified above. You also need these technical skills:
- Experience with AngularJS. Other web frameworks (ReactJS etc) may also be applicable
- Architecting web front ends with a framework
- API integration through HTTP. REST and REST-like interfaces
- Authentication with JWT
- Use cloud based infrastructure (AWS and Google). This includes compute and data storage elements.
- Automated deployment infrastructure (Azure DevOps, CodeDeploy etc.)
And these equally important skills:
- Communication skills that allow you to collaborate and explain your process, approach and motivation to various stakeholders, including technical and non-technical people.
- Able to work well in a team as well as individually.
- Zoom out to the big picture and zoom in on detail.
- Estimate effort on tasks, prioritise work and deliver to deadlines but manage expectations pro-actively rather than working overtime to get the work done.
- Excited about learning, pushing technical limits and finding new solutions
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A propensity to fail fast and learn fast and share both failure and learning with others.
- Prioritising learning over being right. Understanding others rather than becoming defensive.
- Demonstrated ability to learn independently.
- Understanding the value of the client as part of the team rather than us & them.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Minimum 4 years of front-end software development experience
- Either Relevant B.Sc. or B.Eng. university degree. Good academic performance, exceptional in Software Development/ Programming courses or an additional 5 years of work experience in the absence of a Degree
Nice to haves
If you tick all the required boxes, the following things will give you an edge:
- If youve started your own business before (it does not matter whether it worked out or not)
- If youve built something of your own
- Active contributions to open source projects
- Flutter experience or an interest in Flutter
- AWS Cloud experience
- A preference for a variety of work and horizontal training over deep specialist skills.
- Aspirations to mentor and coach other developers