We are looking for a Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer.
Job Title: Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
Location: Gauteng and Western Cape
WHO WE ARE:
We are responsible for code changing the lives of people around the world, every day. We solve complex problems and build big ideas. And we don’t stop. We believe in the ability of technology to make the world a better place; we’re driven to rip through conformity and create new solutions, smarter habits. We know why we’re here: To unleash the potential of people through the power of technology. We are people multiplied by the power of tech and together we are changing the world.
If the above resonates with you, then you’ve come to the right place! Read on. CONTEXT | THE ROLE:
Being a developer is not just about the ‘code’. In our organisation, our developers are all-rounders who can write exceptional, well-designed, and testable code but also collaborate effectively within their team and with others. Over and above the technical know-how, you’ll need good verbal and written skills as you maintain those all-important relationships with our clients. In our company, we treat our clients like partners. As a senior developer, you’re a natural-born leader with great intuition and a broad range of experiences to draw from. Your passion is technology and always try to keep ahead of emerging industry trends, new methodologies, and practices. You’ll need to bring those highly sought-after dev skills to the table, taking full ownership of a project as you provide technical leadership and direction to your team members and the business at large as we work together to develop the best products to solve our client’s needs.
ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES | THE WHAT & THE HOW: The Essentials:
- An active approach to development as you collaborate closely with junior and intermediate developers.
- Uphold and improve our engineering standards and processes.
- Producing high-quality, testable code that solves the client’s problems and meets business' needs.
- Be well-versed in product development, strategy, programming fundamentals and methodologies.
- The ability to take full responsibility for a project.
- Being able to problem-solve and self-correct where needed.
- Build, lead, support and coordinate a team’s workflow.
- Design, test, and ship quality code every week to build impactful new features for our internal operational teams.
- Have conversations on architectural design & contributing to the technical requirements. Where needed, you are producing easy to understand technical documents.
- Contribute to the technical and product roadmap.
- Actively contribute in all of our company ceremonies.
- Contribute to the success of the team and extending a helping hand to your team where needed.
- A driven leader who takes initiative and always complies with best-practice methods.
- 7-15 years of work experience in Ruby on Rails or Rails.
- A diploma, degree, or provable, self-taught development skills with a good understanding of how systems works.
- Have experience in Cloud Architectures (preferably AWS or Heroku).
- Have experience working within a high growth tech startup is advantageous.
- Have brilliant problem-solving abilities that take product design, process, and technical aspects into account.
- Have the ability to clearly articulate solutions for a technical and non-technical audience.
- Have a good understanding of Webpacker and JS Bundling in Rails.
- Have a good understanding of SQL.
- Have experience with reporting on a large set of data.
- Have experience with working on a system with a large database.
Things to Note:
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and can understand the business value of a project.
- You have the ability to research and develop new products and modifications to existing software when needed.
- You are someone who is motivated, energetic and always focused on the task at hand.
- A strategic thinker who can work under pressure, independently problem solve and draw knowledge from a broad range of experiences.
- A proactive, continuous, and quick learner who is genuinely excited about industry trends and has a passion for technology and knowledge.
- A resourceful, ‘big-picture’ thinker who considers how the code that is written will have an impact later on.
- Good communication and teamwork are critical - you’ll not only be dealing with developers but also designers, product owners, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Play a mentorship role to our interns, junior and other less-experienced engineers.
- This role is available to remote location applicants as long as you can work in our Timezone (GMT+2).
- This role is for English-speaking applicants only please.
NB! This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.