Due to the retirement of the existing incumbent who performed many of the below mentioned functions, this demanding, challenging and satisfying opportunity is offered in a Group where the majority of its staff have been employed for many many years. The candidate will form part of a closely knit, very hard working, task orientated and hands-on team where each member supports and assists the other team players. Although the Group is large and listed, the culture is more family orientated and informal as opposed to the usual strict and rigid Corporate Head Office structure. Reporting into the most senior financial executive in the entity & with the possibility to become his 2 IC, the Group consists of approximately 60 Companies which is Divisionalised into 3 main operating businesses (although there are quite a number of dormant Companies). Believe it or not, notwithstanding the disastrous 2020 trading year overall for many businesses in SA, this Group posted excellent profits, is cash flush and still performing exceptionally. Due to their cash position, there are also ongoing acquisitions. This position, by way of summary, will focus on tax and tax administration which represents 40% of the duties (the candidate will be the Tax Manager) and the remaining 60% is group accounting as outlined below.
Key performance areas, inter alia, include:
- Tax & tax related work. The candidate will be the Public Officer and central point of contact for any SARS communication and enquiry. So effectively, he/she will be the Tax Manager of the Group. The Tax Administration, for example, will include ensuring all Companies have access to efiling and e@syFiling. Drive tax compliance in the Group in accordance with tax laws and their timeous delivery to SARS. In addition, control and oversee monthly statutory tax payments, for example, that Companies are adhering to VAT and other statutory SARS regulations and returns. Investigate & follow up on tax compliance issues and complete Provisional Tax. Overall, critically review and examine tax issues within the Group and challenge the respective Company’s Financial Managers on any pertinent tax issue as and when necessary.
- Annual Reporting related duties will include but not limited to signing off Group Tax from the Auditors, IFRS 9 calculations and overall IFRS disclosures. The need to take into account recent IFRS changes & requirements which includes all relevant disclosures, reporting for the different Divisions and then allocating to the respective Segments within the Group. In addition, due to large quantities of imports, there is Forex to be managed and a need to obtain relevant information from the various Companies so as to provide forex revaluations and make adjustments – this also needs to be accurately disclosed. Finally, examine Group Loans ensuring accurate auditing & correctness and examine loan impairements and report thereon.
- Group Annual Insurance which is done once per annum and involves communicating with Management in the operating Companies. This will include insurance declarations, overall review and allocating proportionate insurance costs to each Company.
- Annual Financial Statements are compiled together with the Group Financial Executive noting that there are at least 20 dormant Companies. Liaise with the External Auditors and very often there is a need to “chase up” outstanding AFS of respective Companies from the Auditors.
- Over a period of time, the candidate will become involved in Company Secretarial work noting that this can be learnt (if the candidate had some experience, it certainly would assist in due course).
- Ad hoc support to the Group Financial Exec, emphasising that the Board of Directors are very entrepreneurial and there are ongoing demands from them for very interesting and stimulating projects to do. This may be, for example, a due diligence, disposals, computer system enhancement, JSE requirements and which needs to be investigated, analysed, reported on and presented to the Board.
- The candidate may be a CA (SA) or a B Comm (Honours) or similar. It certainly would be advantageous if there was a post-graduate Tax Qualification as well.
- Due to the nature and diversity of the duties and responsibilities, an experienced and mature person from a large, listed JSE Group would most likely be the most suitable candidate to fulfil this broad- based position.
- It must be emphasised again that the culture of the Group, as outlined above, is informal and that each staff member, especially in the Head Office Team, takes full accountability for their work, are all highly driven and exceptionally detailed orientated. There is a camaraderie and feeling of togetherness where each person supports one another, is serious in respect of their responsibilities and ongoing deadlines. Therefore, the need to effectively and clearly communicate not only within Head Office but with all the relevant management at the Subsidiaries is a paramount requirement to be successful in this role. Naturally, the candidate needs to be technically astute and be upto date with IFRS and all the relevant Acts especially in connection with tax.
- Finally, the successful candidate will be hands on, detail driven, accountable and a team player.
Apply on-line or alternatively phone Gerald Lilian on (011)-----.
Be advised that if you do not receive a response within two weeks from date of submission of your CV, then please deem your application as unsuccessful.
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.